Sunday, January 3, 2021

Book Review: Baby Got Bite

Baby Got BiteBaby Got Bite by Maz Maddox
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

rating: 4 stars ★★★★☆
format: ebook
genre: fantasy (paranormal), m/m romance

summary: This is a lovely bite-sized story about a vampire who has been hiding in his coffin after a bad break up in the nineties (admit it, we've all been there). He hates Halloween but agrees to go to a Halloween party that an attractive Starbucks barista invites him to. Somehow, I still can't escape "The Siren" while at home, trying to enjoy not making froofy drinks all day. It turns out, the barista is not all that the vampire, who goes by the alias "Vincent" after the Pulp Fiction character, thought he would be. Vincent finds it hard to fit in due to his 90's catch phrases and lack of current pop culture knowledge. He leaves the party and finds a man named Ben smoking outside. He's dressed like a character from "Clerks" and is sweet and accepting of Vincent and his quirks. They go back to Ben's place and, well... I'm sure you can guess the rest.

pros:

  • BODY POSITIVITY! I was absolutely thrilled when Ben was described as being a little on the "softer" side, no six pack and head-to-toe model physique that it a very common trope in m/m romances. Yet, Vincent sees him as sexy, irresistible man. Every time I read more of Vincent's thoughts about Ben, the smile on my face grew wider.
  • This story had me giggling from beginning to end. Vincent and his banana costume and his social awkwardness could have been uncomfortable to read, but it was written in a way that made Vincent very endearing. I felt for him as he struggled to fit in with the hipster crowd. The humor was clever and not too over the top. My favorite line embodies the overall feeling of the story: "I leaned over, my banana suit squeaking sexily as I did." In addition, there was the protagonist's casual references to murdering people and drinking their blood.
  • I loved both Ben and Vincent. They had great chemistry and I want more of them!

cons:

  • It ended a little too early for my liking. Right when things were about to get exciting, that was it. Cliffhanger. I was looking forward to the resolution that never came.

overall thoughts: This was a fun (and free, from the author's website) read from beginning to end. I would recommend it to anyone who likes humor, great characters, and a touch of steamy romance.

Review cross-posted: Skyler St. Clair on Goodreads & Skyler's Bookshelf Reading Blog

Applicable challenges:
Pick Your Poison Reading Challenge - Favorites (a book with your favorite color on the cover) - purple
SFF Virtual Badge Collection - The Uncovered Diamond Badge


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!