Thursday, January 14, 2021

Book Review: The Feast of the Drowned (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #8)

The Feast of the DrownedThe Feast of the Drowned by Stephen Cole
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

rating: 4.5 stars, rounded up ★★★★★
format: audiobook
genre: science fiction

disclaimer: For some reason, I repeatedly typed the title out as "The Feast of the Damned" which is why the url is like that. Sorry!

summary:

If you ever wanted an episode of Doctor Who, but every character is played by David Tennant, this audiobook is for you! The Feast of the Drowned is a short adventure about the Tenth Doctor and his companion Rose, who investigate a sunken Naval ship that Rose's friend's brother was on when disaster struck. After the sinking, ghostly apparitions of the victims begin appearing to their families, begging for help before "the feast."

pros:

  • The audiobook is narrated by David Tennant, who reads the story with all of his enthusiasm and David Tennant-isms. It's funny listening to him jump from his native Scottish accent, to the Doctor's British accent, to a minor character's American accent, and back again. I think it would be impossible to be bored during anything read by him. I'm sure I would have gotten much better grades in school had my textbooks been narrated by him.

  • I liked the spooky, mysterious story. It was a bit gorier than an episode of Doctor Who, though not in an overwhelming, horror way.
  • There was a strong cast of new supporting characters.

cons:

  • There wasn't much I could find wrong with this, except for my normal amount of annoyance at Mickey. It seemed like he was just sorta there, and that they plot could have been carried easily enough without him.


Sorry, Mickey.

overall thoughts:

This was a short, fun listen! I did pay $4.99 for it on iTunes, and while it was worth it, the price for such a short audiobook does not have me in too big of a rush to buy the rest of the books in the series, but I'm sure I will continue to listen to these in the future.

review cross-posted: Skyler St. Clair on Goodreads & Skyler's Bookshelf Reading Blog

applicable challenges:
Pick Your Poison Reading Challenge - Borrowing (a book with a character from a different book - The Doctor)
SFF Virtual Badge Collection - The Monster Badge

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!